Monday, September 18, 2006

Li-ion Batteries



So today, bored at work, I began to think of the Li-ion batteries I got from Eddy some time back and how I might connect them. A lot of folks just solder the pads, but I kinda wanted to do a removable pressure contact type thing similar to what cell phones do. (The battery is actually intended for a cell phone.) I remember my old cell phone had theses sort of spring loaded plunger style contactors the rear battery door pushed the battery pads onto.

Anyway I went looking for the contactors, thinking they were custom and I'd never find them. I found these .1" Mill-Max spring loaded headers but, having only my faulty memory, felt sure that the battery pads were well over a .1" pitch. To my delight, when I returned home and bothered to check I discovered that my cell phone plunger things looked exactly like the Mill-Max headers and that the battery pads were in fact .1" pitch.

This looks like it will be a cool way to connect my batteries if I can come up with a good way to put pressure on the battery.

No comments: