Saturday, March 07, 2009

Blunder!

I've made an awful blunder in the design of my drive board for Uno. I really wanted to use these nice dual LED holders that I salvaged from a circuit board that TomG gave me. However, I was so excited to get to the part where I used the solder paste that I neglected to do any final fit measurements with the parts on paper or even on the un-soldered board.


The IR leds did not nest as deeply as the original leds and thus stick further out than I was expecting. The result is that my board is 7mm too wide per the Mini-Sumo rules. Now I am looking at desoldering as many components as I can so that I can remount them on a redesigned board. If I break too much stuff during the process I'll have to place another order. Before I start desoldering, however, I think I will power the board up and see if I can get it to work.

No comments: