Wednesday, August 13, 2008

PS2 Controller


Going to try to start blogging regularly again. I think its a good habit. Anyway, I'm working on my Robomagellan again. Towards that project I've been working on communicating with a regular Sony PS2 wireless controller.

When I got the controller I decided that I did not want to bust out the receiver from its plastic case and solder to the connections inside directly. I found a place that sells repair parts for the PS2 console and bought a controller/memory card socket module for $20. There were two controller receptacles in the module and a circuit board. I de-soldered the circuit board and sawed the module in half netting me two sockets. The socket you see above has had junk desktop computer wires soldered back to it and all plugged into a long pin length 0.1" header to make it compatible with a ordinary solderless breadboard. I'll use this to debug the controller interface software I've written. The socket I will eventually mount on to my own custom circuit board for integration with my robot.

No comments: