Sunday, November 06, 2005

GPS Follies

Bah. I tried the GPS code again. I was pretty sure the turn rate was just too high for what I was trying to do. So I lowered the turn rate and took it out again. Once again I was beset with technical difficulties. The bot ran twice and just sort kinda went in the right direction, but I still wasn't happy with it. To make matters worse, the program would not run everytime. There was some issue with getting blocked on the serial port. I guess either the motors or gps were not responding. Dunno. Anyway, the upshot is that the two times I did run I didn't get log files because I didn't pipe the output to a file. So I don't really know what was going on. I could be that the math is just not precise enough or the heading updates were still too slow or whatever. I don't know and I am ticked that I don't have a way to look back and find out. I should alter the code to directly write to a file. I should also abandon this GPS thing and get on with dead reckoning. I only did the GPS again because it was such a simple change to the code to slow down the turn rate.

Sigh.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

No comments: